Stir-Fried Dino Kale

This will be the simplest recipe ever, I think, but, you will LOVE the flavor, I guarantee it. I used the recipe that my mom taught me for Kalmi Saag. Growing up, Kalmi Saag was my favorite greens - I could have a whole meal of this green, it was so flavorful to me. My mom always used to make triple the regular serving for me because she knew that I will gobble it up, and that was sometimes the only vegetable she could make me eat. Ha!

Though Dino Kale is different from Kalmi Saag, I tasted it raw and it seemed to have the similar flavor profile. Also, earlier this week I had used some Dino Kale in an omelet, I found that it cooks well and retains its texture when stir fried. So, using the Kalmi Saag recipe here seems to be a winner!

Yes, Dino in Dino Kale stands for Dinosaurs. It's because the Dino Kale leaves are huge!

Stir-fried Dino Kale

Dino Kale - chopped
Yellow Onions - diced
Thai Chilies - minced
Garlic - minced
Salt
Turmeric

1.   Heat oil in a pan and add onions. Fry for a minute.
2.  Add garlic and chilies. Fry till the onions start turning golden.
3. Add the Dino Kale, salt, and Turmeric. Mix and fry till Kale is cooked.

Stir-Fried Dino Kale
Adding Turmeric during frying is essential. Turmeric has terrific antiseptic properties and should always be added in foods where you have greens and meat. Indian cooks swear by turmeric for it's medicinal properties. No true Indian dish is complete without it. It's funny, some say that we are yellow skinned because of our heavy consumption of this ingredient!

Comments

Post a Comment